With the watches below, we take a step into the affordable luxury watch category. Each offers a quality mechanical movement, superb design and solid build quality. If you’ve got some extra cash to spend on gifts this year, take a look at this list and we’re sure you’ll find the perfect watch.
Seagull 1963 Chrononograph $389
- 38mm, Seagull ST19 21 Jewel Chronograph, Sapphire Crystal, 18mm w/ Choice of straps
- The Seagull 1963 is a faithful reissue of a chronograph designed for the People’s Liberation Army Air Force. The 1963 is a stunning watch with great build quality, a fascinating history and a very affordable mechanical chronograph movement (that is mesmerizing and visible though the caseback). This is an ideal watch for someone interested in vintage military watches, heritage style and mechanical movements.
- Take a look at our hands-on for more details and photos
Christopher Ward C8 Pilot MK II – Vintage Edition $500
- 44 mm case, Sellita SW200-1 26 Jewel Automatic Movement, Sapphire Crystal, Leather Strap
- To quote our review of the C8, it’s “an example of everything that’s right in the world of moderately priced watches.” The C8 nails the classic pilot look with flying colors, features a high quality Swiss mechanical movement and is built incredibly well. This is the perfect gift for the man in your life with traditional style, and who knows quality when he sees it.
- Check out our review of the Christopher Ward C8 here.
Halios Laguna $670
- 43 mm case, ETA 2824-2 automatic movement, Sapphire Crystal, bracelet and rubber strap
- The Halios Laguna is a really outstanding example of retro style being well implemented in a contemporary timepiece. This diver features a rotating internal bezel, quality Swiss automatic movement and comes in three different varieties (grey, black or black/orange bezel). Its perfect for someone who loves the ocean, or loves the look of classic watches.
- Click here to see our more complete take on the Halios Laguna
DEFAKTO Eins Nachtschicht $665
- 42mm, ETA 2824-2 25 Jewel Automatic, Sapphire Crystal 20mm Calf Leather
- The Nachtschicht is a one-handed watch with bold but simple styling and a full-lume dial. It has an almost stubbornly stripped down aesthetic with a very graphic appearance and a single large hand. Unlike other one-handed watches, this one only gives you markers every 15 minutes, making the time more of an estimation. The Nachschicht is great for an individual interested in contemporary design, who does not need to know the exact time….maybe that weird freelancing nephew who just got out of college?
- Check out our full review for more details and photos
Ok, so you either have pretty deep pockets or you and your siblings are pooling together for a really great gift for dad. Below is an eclectic mix of watches that are at the top of their class and should last a lifetime. Each should make an awesome gift for a special guy in your life.
Helson Sharkmaster $899
- 44mm, ETA 2824-2 25 Jewel Automatic w/ date, 4.5mm thick Sapphire, 22mm Steel Mesh Bracelet
- The Sharkmaster is a homage to an iconic model of the Omega Seamaster dive watch from the 70’s. It is a big and beautiful diver that authentically recreates the original, down to the 1000m depth rating, but unlike vintage Omegas, does not cost thousands of dollars. We’d recommend this for someone interested in classic watches, serious diver watches and cool 70’s kit….who can rock a big watch.
Lüm-Tec Super Combat B2 $1,295
- 45 mm case, decorated ETA 6498-1 Rhodium movement, Sapphire crystal, nylon military strap
- Lüm-Tec Super Combat B2 is the quintessential stealth/tactical military style watch. It is absolutely beautiful, with a decorated Swiss mechanical movement, sexy black PVD case and Lüm-Tec’s super bright MDV luminescent. This a great watch for a rugged guy…who likes to wear black…a lot.
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II $908
- 44 mm case, ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic movement, Sapphire Crystal, leather strap
- Steinhart is one of our favorite watch companies, and the Nav B-Chrono II is definitely one of our favorite watches. It is the classic pilot chronograph personified, and features a decorated Swiss automatic movement, day/date function and deadly good looks, all under $1,000. This is the watch you buy your dad. Trust us, he’ll be happy.
Nomos Club Ivory Dial $1,290
- 36mm, Nomos Alpha 17 Jewel Handwound, Sapphire Crystal, Dark Burgundy Leather
- The Nomos Club is a sporty dress watch with a clean design borrowing from the Bauhaus. It is a milestone in affordable luxury watches, featuring an in-house handwound movement (something quite rare) with a small seconds hand and superb finishing. Get this for someone who appreciates subtlety, but still wants to impress and be noticed. Also great for any watch nerd.